Proper cleaning and maintenance of your chimney is important to keep your family safe and warm when temperatures drop during the winter. A neglected chimney can accumulate creosote along its walls. Creosote is a combustible by-product of charred wood and can cause a dangerous chimney fire when combined with a high internal flue temperature. Good maintenance of your chimney will prevent a chimney fire. Here are some tips to prevent a chimney fire from the professionals at Gary’s Gutter Service, Inc.:
- Burn only well-seasoned hardwood that has been split from six months to a year.
- Never use gasoline or kerosene to start a fire. Always start fires with clean newspaper or dry kindling.
- Never burn wrapping paper, cardboard boxes or your Christmas tree.
- Keep the area in front of the fireplace clear of paper and debris. During the holiday season, keep all decorations at a safe distance from the fireplace. Keep all combustible materials away from the stove and chimney connector.
- Use a wire mesh screen if your fireplace doesn't have a glass door.
- Install a chimney cap. This will help to keep out rain and snow, birds and other wildlife that might be on the roof.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector.
- Ensure that branches and leaves from trees that hang over the chimney are at least 15 feet away.
- Do not try to burn too much wood at one time as the chimney can crack and you can cause a creosote build-up. You can burn wood on a grate placed near the back of the fireplace.
- Ensure that your chimney has an appropriate liner.
- Have your chimney inspected for damage inside and out after a violent storm, earthquake, flood or lightning strike.
- Install your wood or coal stove at least 36 inches away from the wall.
- Protect the floor from heat and hot coals by placing an approved stove board under the unit.
Contact Gary’s Gutter Service, Inc. for affordable chimney work
Receive friendly service on your chimney from a knowledgeable group of masonry professionals at Gary’s Gutter Service, Inc. We have more than 30 years of experience in chimney work and have been serving homeowners and building owners in Rockland, Westchester and Bergen Counties. You can call us at 201-749-5024 or email us at email@example.com.